Death Toll in Italian Earthquake Rises to 247Incidents | August 25, 2016, Thursday // 09:39| views
A handout picture made available by the Italian Civil Protection press office on 24 August 2016 shows an aerial view of collapsed buildings in Pescara del Tronto, central Italy, 24 August 2016, following a 6.2 magnitude earthquake. EPA/BGNES
The death toll in Wednesday’s earthquake in central Italy has risen to at least 247 as more than 4,300 rescuers continued to search for survivors through the night, the authorities have said.
Dozens of people are still missing and are believed trapped in the ruined towns of Amatrice, Accumoli and Pescara del Tronto.
The 6.2-magnitude quake hit 100km north-east of Rome in the early hours of Wednesday, flattening buildings and burying people under the rubble in towns and villages in the mountainous area where the regions of Umbria, Lazio and Le Marche meet.
Many survivors slept in cars or tents overnight, with 150 aftershocks felt in the 12 hours following the initial quake, the strongest measuring 5.5 on the Richter scale. Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said that at least 368 injured people had been taken to hospital by late on Wednesday.