Former Turkish Air Force Chief Reportedly ‘Confesses’ to Plotting Coup AttemptSoutheast Europe | July 18, 2016, Monday // 20:38| views
A photo made avaliable on 17 July 2016 shows Akin Ozturk, former commander of the Turkish air forces, posing for the media, in Turkey 19 November 2014. Photo EPA/BGNES
Former Turkish air force commander Gen. Akin Ozturk has reportedly confessed to planning last week's failed coup attempt, the BBC reported on Monday, citing Turkey’s Anadolu Agency.
The state-run news agency quoted Gen. Ozturk as having told interrogators that he had "acted with intention to stage a coup", according to the BBC.
However, shortly after news broke of Ozturk's alleged confession, Turkish broadcaster NTV countered Anadolu Agency's report. It claimed to have obtained a copy of Ozturk's testimony which said the former air force chief had denied involvement in Friday's coup attempt during his interrogation.
A group within the Turkish military attempted to stage a coup d’etat on Friday night, using tanks and helicopters. The plotters sent warplanes firing on key government installations and tanks rolling into major cities, but the rebellion was quashed by loyal government forces and masses of civilians who took to the streets.
On Monday, Turkish prosecutors started questioning 27 generals and admirals including Gen. Ozturk over the failed coup attempt, according to Anadolu Agency.
Gen. Ozturk was the commander of the Turkish air force from 2013 until 2015.
More than 100 generals and admirals have been detained so far in connection with the attempted coup, Anadolu said on Monday. Of the 112 generals and admirals, 50 have been remanded in custody while others were still under investigation.