US Condemns Aleppo Barrel Bomb RaidsWorld | February 5, 2014, Wednesday // 09:32| views
Syrians carry a dead body following an airstrike on February 1. Photo by Getty Images
US Secretary of State John Kerry has condemned the use of barrel bombs in the Syrian city of Aleppo by forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad.
Kerry said it was the "latest barbaric act of the Syrian regime".
The comments came after Syrian army helicopters reportedly dropped more barrel bombs on Aleppo on Tuesday, killing at least eight people.
"Each and every day that the barrel-bombing of Aleppo continues, the Assad regime reminds the world of its true colors," Kerry said.
"It is the latest barbaric act of a regime that has committed organised, wholesale torture, used chemical weapons, and is starving whole communities by blocking delivery of food to Syrian civilians in urgent need," he said.
"Given this horrific legacy, the Syrian people would never accept as legitimate a government including Assad."
The US and its allies have been supporting the opposition's call for a transitional government that does not include President Assad. Syria's ally, Russia, has been resisting the move.
"While the opposition and the international community are focused on ending the war... the regime is single-mindedly focused on inflicting further destruction to strengthen its hand on the battlefield and undermining hopes for the success of the Geneva II process," Mr Kerry added.
Aleppo has been divided since rebels captured large swathes in 2012. Much of the Old City has been levelled by fighting.
Talks between the Syrian opposition and the government took place last week in Geneva but ended without result.
A further round is planned for next week.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!