Bulgaria's Kozlduy NPP Safe Despite Reduced Capacity - CEOEnergy | April 5, 2013, Friday // 12:03| views
Valentin Nikolov, CEO of the Kozloduy NPP, has said that the N-plant will suffer losses of BGN 19 M due to the newly imposed restrictions on the production of electricity. Photo by BGNES
Valentin Nikolov, CEO of the Kozloduy NPP, has said that the N-plant will suffer losses of BGN 19 M due to the newly imposed restrictions on the production of electricity.
Nikolov, as cited by the Focus news agency, commented Friday on the ordinance issued by the Electricity System Operator (ESO) restricting the output of all types of power plants.
Stressing that the safety of the Kozloduy NPP was guaranteed and there was no risk of breakdown, he admitted that the restrictions entailed dangers of damaging the equipment.
Nikolov specified that the capacity of unit 5 of the Kozloduy NPP had been reduced to 750 MW and the capacity of unit 6 had been downsized to 550 MW as of April 4.
He noted that it was not recommendable for the N-plant to operate at a capacity below 75% for long periods of time but said that the management of the plant had had to take into consideration the force majeure circumstances.
On April 23, unit 5 of the Kozloduy NPP is to be stopped for a planned annual overhaul, while unit 6 is to resume operation at full capacity.
On Thursday, Bulgaria's Electricity System Operator (ESO) issued an ordinance introducing restrictions to the output of all types of power plants in a bid to maintain the balance between production and consumption.
The measure was driven by the dramatic decrease in domestic electricity consumption and electricity export rates.
In order to avoid serious breakdowns, which could leave many Bulgarians without electricity, ESO ordered power plants to function at reduced capacity.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!