Bulgaria to Reveal Fresh Evidence on Burgas BombingBulgaria in EU | March 28, 2013, Thursday // 11:58| views
Bulgaria's caretaker Prime Minister Marin Raykov. Photo by BGNES
Bulgaria's caretaker Prime Minister Marin Raykov has announced that his country will present new evidence on last year's bus bombing in the Black Sea city of Burgas that killed five Israeli tourists and a Bulgarian bus driver.
In early February, Tsvetan Tsvetanov, then Bulgaria's Minister of Interior, made an official statement saying the probe on the attack gives grounds to believe it was organized and carried out by Hezbollah's military wing.
"We will continue the investigation. We will continue to work on this very seriously, very actively. We will provide the needed evidence," Raykov told reporters on Wednesday.
The Prime Minister reiterated that Bulgaria will not initiate the technical procedure for listing Hezbollah as a terrorist organization in the European Union.
"I think that our partners will be able to do this once they reach a certain level of consensus on this issue," he said.
Raykov noted that some EU countries were "not sufficiently convinced" by the evidence that has been presented by Bulgaria so far.
Only two EU countries currently label Hezbollah a terrorist organization—the UK and the Netherlands. The UK blacklists only the military wing of the Shiite organization.
Blacklisting the organization could allow regional authorities to clamp down on financial flows to the group and open the way for freezing assets linked to Hezbollah in Europe.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!