Bulgaria Stands Divided in Approval of Ruling GERB - Poll

Domestic | January 16, 2012, Monday // 15:41|  views

Among the members of the Bulgarian cabinet, Foreign Affairs Minister, Nikolay Mladenov, enjoys the highest approval rating (39%), according to a recent poll. Photo by BGNES

Bulgarians remain divided in their approval or disapproval of the ruling, center-right Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria party, GERB, according to a freshly released poll of the Sova Harris agency.

5% of the people in voting age describe GERB's policies as completely successful, 33% - as overall successful, despite some failures, or a total of 38% are satisfied with GERB's rule.

According to the January poll, 30% of those in voting age say the cabinet has some successes, but the rule is overall unsuccessful, while 19% see it as completely unsuccessful, or a total of 40% are dissatisfied with GERB.

The poll was conducted between January 3 and 10, and involved 1 000 Bulgarian citizens in voting age.

68% of the polled disapprove of the cabinet's retirement reform providing for a gradual increase of retirement age, which is going up by one year for both males and females in 2012. Those disapproving come from all age groups.

About 38% disapprove of the reform at the State-owned and heavily indebted railways BDZ Holding, which includes mass layoffs, cancelation of a number of trains, and increased fares – of those disapproving – 37% are State servants, 27% work for the private sector, 27% have college degrees, and every second is a supporter or follower of the opposition, left-wing Bulgarian Socialist Party, BSP.  23% approve of the BDZ reform – mainly people from the private business and supporters of GERB.

Those who support the cabinet see GERB's actions as decisive though unpopular and believe reforms are a must.

Among the members of the cabinet, Foreign Affairs Minister, Nikolay Mladenov, enjoys the highest approval rating (39%) or about 2/5 of the polled.

Mladenov is closely followed by Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister, Tsvetan Tsvetanov with 35%.

The Ministers, rated as "doing a good job on average," are: Agriculture Minister, Miroslav Naydenov (28%), Culture Minister, Vezhdi Rashidov (27%), Education Minister, Sergey Ignatov (26%), Sports Minister, Svilen Neykov (26%), Economy and Energy Minister, Traicho Traikov (26%), and Defense Minister, Anyu Angelov with 24%.

The efforts of Deputy PM and Finance Minister, Simeon Djankov, for fiscal discipline and stability are deemed successful by 20% of the respondents, compared to 18% one year ago, in December 2010, again in a Sova Harris poll.

The Minister of Social Policy and Labor, Totyu Mladenov, also has 20% approval. Part of those polled sees the unpopular reforms he must implement as unavoidable and gives him a confidence vote there.

We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!

Tags: Defense Minister, Traicho Traikov, Economy and Energy Minister, Svilen Neykov, Sports Minister, Sergey Ignatov, Education Minister, BSP, Vezhdi Rashidov, Culture Minister, Miroslav Naydenov, Agriculture Minister, Totyu Mladenov, Tsvetan Tsvetanov, Simeon Djankov, BDZ, reform, retirement reform, Sova Harris, Nikolay Mladenov, Foreign Affairs Minister, Cabinet, poll, GERB, rating, approval, Anyu Angelov


» Related Articles: