Norway Attacker Claimed to Defend Europe from 'Islamization' - Police Call TranscriptsWorld | August 18, 2011, Thursday // 19:44| views
A photo made available 16 Augt 2011 of Anders Behring Breivik with Norwegian police officers prior to embarking to Utoya island on 13 Aug 2011 to reconstruct his killing spree. EPA/BGNES
Anders Behring Breivik who killed 77 people in twin terrorist attacks in Norway in July made two phone calls to the police on the day of the attacks.
The Norwegian police released Thursday transcripts of the two phone calls made to emergency services.
Anders Behring Breivik's first phone call was logged at 18.01 (1601 GMT) on July 22 where he presented himself with his name and as "commander" and member of "the Norwegian anti-communist resistance movement," police said, as cited by DPA.
Durng the call, Breivik said he was on the island of Utoya and wanted to surrender. He then broke of the call and a police operator failed to get through to the number he used, Sissel Hammer, police chief of the Nordre Buskerud police district, told a news conference.
A second call was logged at 18.26 (1626 GMT) to a neighbouring police district.
Breivik claimed he had carried out the attack "as part of the organization Knight Templar Europe ... We are organized in the anti-communist and Norwegian resistance movement against the Islamization of Europe and the Islamization of Norway," the transcript reads.
That call was also broken off just after Breivik had asked to be connected to the Delta special forces.
"These are the two phone calls that we have been able to identify (as Breivik)," Hammer said, as cited by DPA.
Both Breivik's attorney Geir Lippestad lawyers of the Utoya victims have requested that the police release the transcripts.
Last week, Lippestad said Anders Behring Breivik made 10 calls from the island of Utoya where he killed 69 people in a shooting spree. His intent was to offer to surrender, the attorney said.
Only two of Breivik's calls apparently connected, as the mobile phone network in the area was overloaded.
At the news conference Thursday, police chief Oystein Maeland confirmed that police would conduct a separate probe into the response to the attacks and present initial findings next month.
Earlier Thursday, an independent panel - the July 22 commission, named after the day of the attacks - began its work. The commission was set up by the government to review how police and other authorities responded.
DPA points out that questions now center on whether lives could have been saved if special police forces sent from Oslo had arrived earlier at the scene on Utoya. Media have speculated that police could have launched their boat closer to the island where the shooting took place, or deployed a helicopter.
Police have in the past days revisited the island in a final search for cameras and other electronic devices.
An Oslo court is to rule Friday on whether to extend Breivik's solitary confinement a further four weeks.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!